Kev plays many of the Greatest Soul Hits and fans favorites. A Saturday morning tradition.
If you’re in the Radio, Media, Music and Events business, I can help. Well, after 40 years in the business myself, I’d certainly like to think I could!
I started my career in Entertainment in 1972, and have stayed in the industry ever since. Born in Wirksworth, Derbyshire, I was one of the first All Nighter DJ’s at the legendary Wigan Casino (Sept 1973), while embarking on a career in the clubs.
Known for his impeccable knowledge in both Popular Music and Classic Soul, Kev has had an extensive DJ career with Magic Radio, Smooth, Jazz FM and Saga amongst others.
He is a current regular with Signal 2 and Smooth Radio and is frequently featured as a music expert on BBC radio and independent local stations.
In addition, Kev is a confident and knowledgeable interviewer whose archive includes compelling conversations with such classic and contemporary music legends as Cliff Richard, The Beach Boys, The Hollies and The Drifters to name but a few.
- RT @jamiefox1: I’d like to think #ArethaFranklin has just reached the pearly gates, seen George Michael, and said: “I knew you were waiting… 1 day ago retweeted via jamiefox1
- Extraordinary singer with such depth & emotion https://t.co/NfFiBeMsw9 2 days ago
- @revbrown51 @PeaboBryson2 Thanks 🙏🏾 he was an absolute pleasure to chat to 5 days ago
- @PeaboBryson2 thanks for coming on the show @solarradio and sharing about your new album #standforlove. Lots of l… https://t.co/gngIJUQILG 1 week ago
- #soullife with @peabobryson2 interview at 2:22:00 such a gentleman 🙂 @solarradio https://t.co/JTzb5ZqGgd 1 week ago
Q1. What first attracted you to Soul Music, is this relevant today?
I heard ‘This Old Heart of Mine” – The Isley Brothers and got hooked. Simples.
Q2. What are your top 5 favourite soul tracks?
I’m Gonna Make You Love Me – Supremes and Temptations
The Entertainer – Tony Clarke
This Will Be – Natalie Cole
Sunshine Will Never Be The Same – Aretha Franklin
This Old Heart of Mine – Isley Brothers
Q3. What are your favourite three record labels?
Q4. Who are your favourite five artists?
Q5. What are your top three soul clubs of all time?
Kings Hall, Stoke
Q6. What radio experience did you have before you joined Solar?
Sunset 102, Magic, Smooth, Saga, Jazz FM, Signal etc etc
Q7. What is/are your main criteria in choosing records for airplay?
I meet a lot of the public and listen intently to what they are saying. I play what feels right. I act as a A & R man as well as presenter.
Q8. Why would you recommend Solar to a listener?
Soul 24/7 on tap!
Q9. Which other DJs do you admire and why?
I don’t listen to others. No disrespect. I do my own thing.
Q10. How would you like to be remembered by a listener?
A person that made you feel good.
Q11. What do you do to relax?
Cabernet Sauvignon, Sex and hearing Sheffield Wednesday have won!