Live from Los Angeles. An eclectic mix of Jazz, Funk, Fusion & Soul with a helping of Gospel.
- RT @the_12thMannz01: @rajthehoop @solarradio Brilliant show 👏🏼🎵 13 hours ago retweeted via the_12thMannz01
- Join Raj at 8 on @solarradio for soulfully yours where we connect our beloved music seamlessly for your listening p… https://t.co/TzzFo2L26X 17 hours ago
- RT @MakinMovesUK: Nxt Sunday we return 2 @ColoursHoxton 4 our next #jusdance session wth @4tothefloorLDN! Myself @JameseyD @DJKengoSan #djs… 3 days ago retweeted via MakinMovesUK
- RT @seanmccabemusic: "Rotations and Reworks" on Z Records is a number one @traxsource album. Thanks for the luv! Link in bio @ Bristol, Un… 5 days ago retweeted via seanmccabemusic
- RT @rajthehoop: join raj tonight at 8 @solarradio for soulfully yours where connect our beloved music seamlessly for your listening pleasur… 1 week ago retweeted via rajthehoop
Q1. What first attracted you to Soul Music, is this relevant today?
I was attracted to soul music originally because of the dance vibe, uplifting grooves and energy. I love the jazz influences and use of instrumentation in a way that makes the music different from any other. This still applies today.
Q2. What are your top 5 favourite soul tracks?
This is an impossible question.
Betcha By Golly Wow
Rainy Night in Georgia
Can’t Help It
One Hundred Ways.
Q3. What are your favourite three record labels?
Q4. Who are your favourite five artists?
Q5. What are your top three soul clubs of all time?
The Electric Ballroom – Camden Town
Stage 3 – Leysdown
The Cats Whiskers – Streatham
Q6. What radio experience did you have before you joined Solar?
Playing for radio broadcasts and being interviewed.
Q7. What is/are your main criteria in choosing records for airplay?
Quality of musical production.
Melodic & Harmonic content.
Presentation of the overall package.
Q8. Why would you recommend Solar to a listener?
As a musician I would recommend that the listener should try stepping out of their comfort zone and check out different styles of music from what they normally listen to. I would also suggest people try to support the music they like by actually buying CDs and attending gigs and concerts of the artists they listen too.
Q9. Which other DJs do you admire and why?
Gary Spence – Because of his knowledge and informative shows along with his humor and presentation.
Tony Monson – Probably my all time favorite soul & Jazz DJ. Because of his resources, musical knowledge and experience in the radio industry
Mike Chadwick – Great selections and presentation.
Robbie Vincent – A legendary DJ with a wealth of experience and resources. Saw and enjoyed him at clubs I used to frequent growing up.
Q10. How would you like to be remembered by a listener?
As a DJ who provides information about the music I love and brings a different perspective to the listening experience from someone who is a professional artist and producer.
Q11. What do you do to relax?
Practice my sax/flute, play in big bands and small musical ensembles, watch TV, go to live gigs, walk my dog, go to the movie theatre, sleep.