Live from Los Angeles. An eclectic mix of Jazz, Funk, Fusion & Soul with a helping of Gospel.
- Sundays....... Oh how I love Sundays! 8 hours ago
- Just loved "The Adventures In The Land Of Music with Ian Jons - November 17..." by @Essentialrhythm on @mixcloud https://t.co/AglAN0jQkc 11 hours ago
- Here is this weeks Mixcloud version of this weeks Adventures In The Land of Music from @solarradio with your host I… https://t.co/x0blssfSI7 12 hours ago
- Just uploaded "The Adventures In The Land Of Music with Ian Jons - November 17th 2018" to @mixcloud https://t.co/AglAN0jQkc Tune in now! 12 hours ago
- Here is this week's episode of The Adventures In The Land of Music with your host Ian Jons and bought to you from Y… https://t.co/VrYg49RtUg 12 hours ago
Q1. What first attracted you to Soul Music, is this relevant today?
I was attracted to soul music originally because of the dance vibe, uplifting grooves and energy. I love the jazz influences and use of instrumentation in a way that makes the music different from any other. This still applies today.
Q2. What are your top 5 favourite soul tracks?
This is an impossible question.
Betcha By Golly Wow
Rainy Night in Georgia
Can’t Help It
One Hundred Ways.
Q3. What are your favourite three record labels?
Q4. Who are your favourite five artists?
Q5. What are your top three soul clubs of all time?
The Electric Ballroom – Camden Town
Stage 3 – Leysdown
The Cats Whiskers – Streatham
Q6. What radio experience did you have before you joined Solar?
Playing for radio broadcasts and being interviewed.
Q7. What is/are your main criteria in choosing records for airplay?
Quality of musical production.
Melodic & Harmonic content.
Presentation of the overall package.
Q8. Why would you recommend Solar to a listener?
As a musician I would recommend that the listener should try stepping out of their comfort zone and check out different styles of music from what they normally listen to. I would also suggest people try to support the music they like by actually buying CDs and attending gigs and concerts of the artists they listen too.
Q9. Which other DJs do you admire and why?
Gary Spence – Because of his knowledge and informative shows along with his humor and presentation.
Tony Monson – Probably my all time favorite soul & Jazz DJ. Because of his resources, musical knowledge and experience in the radio industry
Mike Chadwick – Great selections and presentation.
Robbie Vincent – A legendary DJ with a wealth of experience and resources. Saw and enjoyed him at clubs I used to frequent growing up.
Q10. How would you like to be remembered by a listener?
As a DJ who provides information about the music I love and brings a different perspective to the listening experience from someone who is a professional artist and producer.
Q11. What do you do to relax?
Practice my sax/flute, play in big bands and small musical ensembles, watch TV, go to live gigs, walk my dog, go to the movie theatre, sleep.