Uplifting Familiar, Fresh and Funky Grooves. Husband. Dad. Church Minister. DJ on Solar Radio. Writes short stories. Soul music fan. Going bald.
- RT @rajthehoop: Join Raj at 8 on @solarradio for soulfully yours where we connect our beloved music seamlessly for your listening pleasure… 15 hours ago retweeted via rajthehoop
- RT @RichardSearling: This Sunday from 10am UK time @solarradio I’m counting down the top 20 Northern Soul sounds in the Mr.M’s Hot 100 coun… 1 day ago retweeted via RichardSearling
- RT @RichardSearling: Between 1974-1981 the Northern Soul oldies room at Wigan Casino became an institution. The venue was called Mr.M’s. I’… 2 days ago retweeted via RichardSearling
- RT @RichardSearling: The brand new number 2 on the latest Mixcloud chart. Superb selections from this weekend’s guest selector @mikeshaft… 4 days ago retweeted via RichardSearling
- RT @RichardSearling: It’s the final part of my Mr.M’s Hot 100 Countdown from 10am UK time this Sunday @solarradio ! One amazing Northern… 4 days ago retweeted via RichardSearling
Q1. What first attracted you to Soul Music, is this relevant today?
Because it had ‘soul’ – pop music left me cold whereas soul combined a good groove with feeling. The feel of the music still applies today.
Q2. What are your top 5 favourite soul tracks?
Maze – We Are One
Sounds of Blackness – Optimistic
D Train – You’re the One for Me
Sunburst Band – Everyday
Ann Nesby – In the Spirit
Q3. What are your favourite three record labels?
StreetSounds and Motown certainly inspired my early collection – and I look forward to what Dome and Expansion release today.
Q4. Who are your favourite five artists?
Maze (in concert)
Cool Million at the moment
Q5. What are your top three soul clubs of all time?
Never really got into the club scene, though I did some mobile DJ stuff.
Q6. What radio experience did you have before you joined Solar?
I did 10 years Hospital Radio in Bromley which was good fun.
Q7. What is/are your main criteria in choosing records for airplay?
It’s gotta have that ‘feel’ – I’m often attracted to the groove first.
Q8. Why would you recommend Solar to a listener?
Because of the breadth of DJ’s, and the quality soul that you’d be hard pressed to hear anywhere else.
Q9. Which other DJs do you admire and why?
It’s probably heresy to say this, but Tony Blackburn got me into soul back in the 80’s, and that led me to Jeff Young, Andy Peebles, and Robbie Vincent – who must be responsible for half my record collection. Robbie somehow manages to mix contemporary soul with some classic jazz funk and a sense of humour – great!
Q10. How would you like to be remembered by a listener?
Someone who played good music, introduced listeners to new songs/artists, and that their ‘soul life’ was all the better for it!!
Q11. What do you do to relax?